Anxiety in various forms and degrees seems to be a wide-spread problem, affecting people of all ages and in every country. If you are prone to anxiety, you have two options:
A) Give in, and live with it.
B) Learn to overcome it.
By giving in, you will continue to suffer and feel unhappy, stressed and anxious. It is far better to learn to overcome anxiety, or at least weaken its grip over you.
Anxiety wastes your time and energy and weakens you, both mentally and physically. You help no one, and solve no problem by being anxious. Our planet will go on revolving, even if you stop worrying and being anxious. There is no reason to give in to anxiety. You always have a choice.
10 Ways to Overcome Anxiety
- Detach Yourself From Thought Patterns. Lack of control over your thoughts strengthens your anxiety. As negative thoughts get stronger, your anxiety gets stronger too. Next time, instead of confessing, ‘I’m feeling anxious’; detach yourself from your thoughts by describing what’s happening more objectively such as, ‘I am beginning to feel symptoms of anxiousness because I have been dwelling in my negative thoughts’. You need to learn to speak to yourself mentally this way.
- Develop Emotional Objectivity. Feelings and emotions fuel and strengthen anxiety. You need to develop some self discipline, and learn to have control over your feelings. You also need to develop some degree of emotional detachment and objectivity.
- Serve Others. Take the focus away from yourself and serve others with love. This act of extending yourself will fill you up with happiness and gratitude from others. A giver’s heart is never poor as long as it is done wholeheartedly. When you serve others you ‘express’ energy toward other people and not let it ‘depress’ inward – which is the root cause of anxiety.
- Cut Out Negative Influences. If watching the news fills you with anxiety – turn off the TV! The news is designed to infuse people with fear. It is a lot easier to control someone’s mind when they’re in perpetual fear. If you have negative friends or partners who constantly pull you down, cut them out! Life is too short to put up with energy vampires who such the positivity and life out of you.
- Be Grateful. When you go to bed at night, and wake up in the morning, think about the good things that are happening to you. There are always some good things happening, even if small and insignificant. Be grateful for everything that has ever happened, is happening or will happen to you.
- Positive Affirmations. Start the day with several minutes of positive affirmations. Tell yourself how would like your day to be. Use positive, cheering and motivating words. Make sure to infuse motivation into your affirmative words. According to the classic ‘Think and Grow Rich’, by Napoleon Hill – affirmations only register into the subconscious brain when performed consistently with emotions infused in them.
- Get Busy. Since activity keeps your mind off your anxiety. When you wake up in the morning, start doing something right away, and keep busy all day. Cleaning the house, washing the dishes or working in your garden, reading, studying, meditating, or exercising your body, can help you keep your mind away from anxiety. Staying idle and thinking about your problems and worries won’t make them go away. As the common saying goes – an idle mind is the devil’s workshop.
- Set Goals. Set a goal and work every day to achieve it. This action will direct your thoughts and feelings away from worries and anxieties, toward something more positive and constructive.
- Let It Out. Talk about your anxieties to someone you trust. Talking about your anxieties and feelings can alleviate them, and put them in the right proportions, provided you talk objectively, and with a real desire to get rid of your anxiety, or at least reduce its intensity.
- Exercising. Moving your body and staying fit, is a good way to keep fears and anxieties away. You can walk, swim, and do yoga, aerobics, or any other sport.
Thank you for reading this article. If you found this of value, please subscribe for more similar content on weight loss and fitness!